In the contemporary world, diabetes is considered as one of the leading causes of mortality. One of every 4th individual in Pakistan is diabetic. Nutrition has an important role to play in the management of diabetes. Medical nutrition therapy is an integral component of diabetes management and diabetes self-management education (DSME). But due to lack of trained nutritionists, the nutritional screening and assessment is not included in OPD protocol of many healthcare facilities. Therefore, there is a dire need for capacity building of healthcare professionals to perform evidence-based basic nutritional management of people with diabetes as per international standards of medical nutrition therapy. The Certificate in Diabetes Nutrition, 2020 Edition course will help clinicians and dieticians to increase awareness on the principles of nutrition therapy, and diet plans for diabetes patients. The course will provide you with knowledge regarding how to create beneficial nutritional interventions by combining evidence-based recommendations and considering the individual’s cultural, ethnic background, and personal preferences. Guidelines recommend that a knowledgeable and skilled dietician should be primarily involved in nutrition therapy in diabetes. However, considering the burden of diabetes in Pakistan, it is essential that all members of the health care team are knowledgeable about nutrition therapy. The course is therefore open to doctors, nurses, dieticians, physician assistants, and educators.
Below are the highlighted points to be covered during the internship period:
- Diet related Diabetes OPD under the supervision of experts.
- Dietary management of admitted patients.
- Diabetes education skills and demonstration of the criterion of Insulin dosage.
- Introduction to Carbohydrate counting.
- Dietary counselling of Diabetes ketoacidosis (DKA).
- Foot clinic exposure.
- Obesity clinic exposure and management protocols.
- Dietary counselling regarding various endocrine problems including thyroid and polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Rehabilitation services and basic knowledge about concerned exercises.
- International Research platform and a medium for research related growth.
- Presentation skills and different interactive opportunities.
Course Eligibility: Doctors (all streams), Dieticians, Nurses, Wellness professionals, Diabetes educators and other healthcare professionals interested in learning about nutrition in diabetes are eligible for this course.
Course duration: 3 months
Course fee: 30,000
Starting From: 15th September 2020